select language

The mining area of Gersdorf was originally owned by the Cistercian Monastery at Altzella. The many artefacts here bear witness to the intensive mining of silver ore from the 12th century onwards. The lines of heaps and sinkholes, which can still be seen in the area, predominantly date back to the Middle Ages. In total, there were over 200 shafts in this area. In the 17th century, the Segen Gottes Erbstolln adit grew into the most important of these mine workings, but it was closed in 1885. Significant relics of mining activity still preserved today include the stone mine weir constructed at the end of the 18th century, an ore canal, upper and lower manmade ditches, and the mouths of various motive-water leats. Two water-column engines remain intact in the machine room of the Adam-Adit. The 18th century hoisting house (Treibehaus), which was later converted into the mine’s administration and assembly building (Huthaus), has also survived.

Active associations in the Erzgebirge/Krušnohoří Mining Region: 

Segen Gottes Erbstolln e. V. Gersdorf