select language

The Bergmagazin (mining storehouses) of the Ore Mountains were a particularity in the towns. They provided the miners and their families primarily with foodstuffs. The Bergmagazin of Marienberg was built between 1806 and 1809, as a massive, four-storey quarry stone building with a slate-covered half-hipped roof. The store building was later used both as a storage building for the military and for industrial uses. In the years 2002 to 2006, the historical Bergmagazin was extended (with due attention to its preservation as a monument) into a German-Czech cultural centre. During the comprehensive extension, it was possible to essentially keep the remarkable inner wood construction, but also the cubage of the rooms. Hence the Bergmagazin of Marienberg is the only mining storehouse in the Ore Mountains that have been kept to the greatest possible extent in its original state.

Interactive Map