select language

Founded in 1521, the mining town of Marienberg owes its origins to discoveries of rich silver deposits, and was deliberately planned. Its square layout, combined with the regularity with which its buildings are arranged, follows the Renaissance principles of the “ideal town”. It was the first time the model had been applied north of the Alps. Successes in mining lead the town to flourish. In the years that followed, the town’s main buildings were constructed: the Renaissance town hall, the mining authority offices, the St. Marien hall church, the city wall with its gates and towers, and the mining storehouse. The mining storehouse was built in the early 19th century, and is the only one of its kind remaining in the Erzgebirge.