In addition to the Lange Hütte (Long Works, now an open-air museum) and the refining house, the hoisting house was originally one of the most important buildings in the entire process of liquation and post-processing, in particular separating the silver still bound to lead following liquation. The hoisting house contained a large refining hearth, into which a pair of bellows pumped the air required for the process. The bellows were driven by a water wheel. In addition to various storage chambers, the Treibehaus also housed a laboratory, a bathroom, and at times also the Liquation Works’ (copper) mint. When liquation operations ceased, the refining process became redundant and the building was turned into a storage facility, and then into a foundry in 1886. The Treibehaus was burned to ash during a fire in 1903; a new, modern foundry was subsequently built in its stead.

Interactive Map