select language

The mining town of Marienberg was built in 1521 in line with the designs of Ulrich Rülein von Calw, with a grid layout and an unusually large, square marketplace. The Renaissance-style town hall on the square was constructed between 1537 and 1539. Despite several large fires in the town, the splendid portal dating back to 1538 has survived. The town houses encircling the square feature many of such decorative Renaissance portals. The Parish Church of St. Mary was built between 1558 and 1564 and is the last great late-Gothic hall church in Upper Saxony, having been modelled on the parish churches in Annaberg and Pirna. Following a fire, it was rebuilt in the early Baroque style typical of the era. Of the five gates that once formed part of the town walls, only the Zschopau Gate, built in 1545, survives. The Lindenhäuschen (Linden Cottage) is a real rarity – a typical miner’s house, still largely in its original condition, and one of the oldest houses in Marienberg.