The former Franciscan monastery was built between 1502 and 1512. The original structure was made up of a completely enclosed area surrounded by four tall buildings and the monastery walls. The main entrance to the monastery church was through the “Schöne Tür” (‘Beautiful Door’), formerly known as the “Goldene Pforte” (‘Golden Gate’). The gardens stretched from the monastery to the town walls and small cloister gate. The monastery was deconsecrated as early as 1539. However, a number of historical works of art, and the monastery’s library, have survived. By 1577, the monastery church was derelict and the “Beautiful Door” was relocated to St. Anne’s Church. Today, the high altar of the monastery church serves as the high altar of St. Catherine’s Church in Buchholz. In the early 19th century, much of the monastery was demolished. All that survives today are wall of the choir with six windows, the remains of the enclosure walls, and some cellar systems.