The central area of the Liquation Works ‒ including the Lange Hütte, the hoisting house, the manor house and the inn ‒ was originally secured by a wooden fence and later by palisades. The events of the Thirty Years’ War proved that this protective wall was inadequate during times of conflict. As a result of these experiences, between 1656 and 1694 a wall made from quarry stone was erected, measuring a total of 1019 m in length and around 2.1 m in height, and equipped with arrow slits. Parts of the wall have survived in the north-west section between the West Gate and the refining house; in the east near the East Gate and the forge; as well as near the gates to the Works east of the new trading post, located at the manor house. Access to the Liquation Works was via a secured gate system. Passing through the gates, the Grabensteig trail from the manor house led to the lower and upper Hüttenteich pond.

Interactive Map