The Lazarus Ercker house is a large, solidly built two-storey townhouse with foundations dating from at least the 16th century. It features strong foundations on top of historic cellar vaults. The house was damaged by fire on several occasions, but was later rebuilt with new architectural features. The Annaberg-born LAZARUS ERCKER (*circa 1528 †1594) is thought to have been the most important previous owner of the house. ERCKER, who acted as moneyer and mint supervisor in Dresden and later in Goslar and the Bohemian town of Kutná Hora, is one of the mining town of Annaberg’s most famous sons. He gained international recognition through his widely disseminated book of assays, which was first published in 1574. Later editions of the book, Description of Leading Ore Processing and Mining Methods, were published on numerous occasions.