The Lange Hütte, newly built in 1562, formed the technological and architectural hub of the Liquation Works. One-storey high, the building was 36 m long and 21 m wide. An assay building was added to the northern side of the Lange Hütte, where assayers examined the raw materials to be processed and their metal content. Further extensions contained a Gestübekammer (a room where clay and coal dust was prepared), an ore roasting spot, as well as wheel chambers (wheelhouses). Three water wheels situated in the building operated the bellows for five shaft furnaces and two smaller refining hearths with their long shafts. A further type of refining furnace and five liquation furnaces were situated on the eastern wall of the building. In 1952/53, the Lange Hütte was torn down to its foundation walls. To illustrate the technology used at these Works and the technological processes involved in liquation, various facilities were later reconstructed, mostly in their original locations, including various types of furnaces and bellows.

Interactive Map