At the beginning of the 1530s, rich tin deposits were discovered in the region surrounding the current mining town of Horní Blatná; these were the reason the town was founded in 1532. The largest mines were built on the Plattenberg mountain (Blatenský vrch) in order to mine the Wolfgang and Georg seams. These seams, known as greisen veins, were several metres in width. They were worked both above and below ground from the 16th century until the second half of the 18th century. Among the features that have survived are the Wolfspinge (Vlčí jáma, “Wolf’s Pit”) and Eispinge (Ledová jáma, “Ice Pit”) sinkholes.

Impressions