The Svornost or Einigkeit (“unity”) mine is the oldest uranium mine in the world. It was first opened in 1518, when it was known as the Konstantin Mine, to extract large silver deposits. It was renamed in 1530 to commemorate the resolution of an argument between local mine owners. Up until the 19th century, it was one of the main centres of silver and cobalt extraction in Jáchymov. From the mid-19th century, it became one of the area’s major uranium mining sites; uranium was initially used to make pigments and later to produce radium. The mine was closed in 1901, but was reopened in 1924 under state control and resumed production. At that time, a new shaft building with sanitation, a machine room with an electrically-powered hoisting machine, mechanical workshops, and living quarters for the mine employees were also constructed. On the 12th level of the mine, a radioactive water source – which had first appeared in 1864 at a depth of 532 metres – was tapped and channelled into the Jáchymov health spa. It was subsequently named the Curie Spring. In 1946, the Einigkeit mine became part of the newly-created Czech state mining company Jáchymovské doly. The communist regime set up a forced labour camp for political prisoners not far from here in 1949. After uranium mining ceased, the Einigkeit mine was given to the Jáchymov health spa in 1964, to enable the spa to use it as a source of radioactive water. The mine, which was extensively modernised between 1992 and 1996, continues to perform this function today. The Einigkeit mine is also known for the discovery of a series of uranium ore minerals, which were first described at this location (as of March 2018 there are 15 such minerals).

Impressions