The copper forge known today as the Althammer was built around 1534/37. It is located outside and to the east of the section of the liquation works wall which survives nearby. From 1958 to 1960, the Neuhammer machinery was used while the technical equipment at the Althammer was repaired. The technical equipment of the forge is comprised of three tilt hammers driven by a camshaft attached to a water wheel. A second water wheel operates the bellows using a rod system. The wheel chambers are located on the eastern side of the building. The distinctive hearth is located directly over the fire. It reaches the eaves of the roof and is decorated with a crown. Until 1914, copper sheets were manufactured in the forge, and processed into everyday items such as a wide variety of bowls and kettles. It has been used as a museum display since its restoration in 1960.

Interactive Map