The start of mining activity in Jáchymov and the foundation of the town are very closely linked with the Fundgrübner Adit in the oldest part of the town. As Georgius Agricola reported in 1530, two miners made an unsuccessful attempt to open up an adit near the Schottenberg mountain in 1512 after discovering the first seam of silver ore in the area. They were forced to abandon work on the Fundgrüben adit due to insufficient funds. In 1516, Count Stephan Schlick, who owned the Ostrov estate, took over the financing of the work. After only a few metres, significant silver deposits were discovered in the Fundgrüben seam, triggering a silver rush in Jáchymov. The mouth of the Fundgrüben adit is located on an undeveloped plot of land next to Platz der Republik 496 near the Baroque Chapel of St. Anne. The adit mouth, which is constructed of mica slate, is covered by a grating and is not currently accessible.

Impressions