Schwarzenberg Castle was what first drew settlers to the region and was the starting point for the town’s development. First mentioned in historical records in 1212 and converted into a hunting lodge between 1555 and 1558, it remains an emblematic feature of the townscape today. It was once the seat of the territorial and manorial mining administration for tin- and iron-ore mining in the western Erzgebirge. The three-winged complex with its great hall, connecting structure, keep and administration building illustrates the castle’s close relations with the Bohemian mining districts, some of which were governed by the Schwarzenberg mining administration during certain periods.