The late-Gothic St. Wolfgang’s Church was commissioned by the elector Frederick the Wise and built between 1516 and 1540. It has shaped the town’s image ever since. A smaller, existing church structure, dating from sometime after 1470, was incorporated into the building. It had been founded alongside Schneeberg mining town in response to the discovery of large ore deposits. The construction of the church was funded by a mining tax levied on the mineworkers and pit owners. In the 17th/18th century, the church was renovated in the Baroque style. It was heavily damaged during the fire that ravaged the town of Schneeberg in 1719, but was subsequently reconstructed. The church was almost completely destroyed again during an air raid in April 1945. Only the outer walls remained standing. Starting in 1952, both the interior and exterior of the church were partially reconstructed using the historic building materials. By 1996, the artistically, culturally, and historically important altar had been restored and could be rededicated.