select language

The so called Abraham Gottlob Werner building (Brennhausgasse 14) traces back to an initiative of the mining official Pr. Dr. Richard Beck (1858-1919. The foundation stone was laid in 1912. The building accounts for the early Saxon concrete steel constructions. The decorated entrance portal displays mining and natural history related statuaries including the famous Freiberg mineralogists Abraham Gottlob Werner (1749-1817) and Johann Friedrich August Breithaupt (1791-1873). The cellar hosts workshops and laboratories, first and second storey are used as lecture rooms and working areas. The third storey shows geo-scientific collections and exhibitions. Ornament elements inside the exhibition rooms can be found as console stones with the city arms of Saxon mining towns.

Interactive Map