In the area of the today’s head office of the mining academy Freiberg a representative late Gothic building has been erected shortly after 1500 and was extensively modified in 1705. After foundation of the mining academy (1765) teaching has taken into operation inside specifically rented rooms of the chief mining official’s house in 1766. Extensive constructional changes and extensions at the main building followed in the 1830s and 1850s. A three-storeyed structure was erected featuring twelve axes, corner risalits and large windows in curved bow style. The entrance way and the assembly hall of the so called Oppel house have been preserved in its original state. At the ground floor a cross vault is put on cast-iron pillars. Immediately above the entrance a sandstone slab is pointing out the functional purpose of the building.