When mining ceased in the Freiberg mining district in 1913, the water supply from underground water storage of the former mining galleries has become available. As the establishment of post-mining industries required electricity in a large scale, water supplies were used to generate power. Therefor the Drei Brüder Schacht (shaft) has been converted into an underground power station 1913/14. In that process, underground machine chambers and water supply galleries were developed while also using pre-existing structures of the mine working. The underground power station went into operation on 24th of December 1914. With the revival of mining after 1945 elaborate changes in the supply of the required motive water followed. Despite mining activities, the underground power station was operated as peak load power station. A decision about termination was made in 1968, which was followed by final shut down in 1972.