Krupka Castle was founded before 1330 on a high rocky promontory above the steep western side of the Krupka valley in order to protect the merchant route to Meißen and the Krupka tin mines. In 1330, Bohemian king John of Luxembourg bestowed the castle, the town of Krupka and its tin mines on a Saxon noble family of Kolditz. The castle was remodeled between 1471 and 1482 into an impressive Late Gothic fortress but during the Thirty Years’ War it ceased to fulfil its defensive and residential functions and fell into disrepair. In recent years the castle has been undergoing demanding restoration combined with the conservation of the existing structural relicts. In the courtyard a mining office was built by the lords of Sternberg between 1695 and 1697 (now used as a restaurant).