select language

The mines at the so-called “Neufang”, east of the Altenberg Pinge sink-hole, were discovered as early as 1472. Mining on ore veins predominated. The Rothzechner Treibeschacht was sunk in 1793 and became the main hoisting shaft for the Rothe Zeche Fundgrube union in 1794. The shaft, which dips at an angle of 62 degrees, reached a final depth of 123 m in 1817. For hauling ore buckets from depth a horse gin was operating between 1794 and 1832. The gin was run by either three horses or two horses and two bullocks. It took 10 minutes to lift ore buckets with a weight of 800 to 1000 kg. Mining in the Rothe Zeche ceased in 1866. Between 1954 and 1991, the Altenberg tin ore company used the mine as an escape and ventilation shaft. Therefor the shaft shelter has been erected in 1958. This solid single-storey building is made of plastered brickwork and topped by a slate covered gable roof. A turret for ventilation is set in the middle of the roof ridge. It holds open windows secured by wire mesh in order to ensure air flow. In 1998 the shelter has been undergone restoration and since the shaft continues to be used for ventilating the Altenberg mine workings it is in good condition.

Interactive Map