select language

Once the German Democratic Republic was founded in 1949, it was necessary to quickly develop a raw materials industry to supply the new state’s economy. The local “pure tin” supply required significantly increasing tin production, particularly from the Altenberg deposit.

The first operations to sink the new central shaft began in 1952. Ten years later the construction of the shaft building, shaft tower and haulage plant, installation of all technical fittings, and full development of the infrastructure had been realized. Ore extraction in the new central shaft started in 1963. Over half a million tons of ore a year were extracted from 1968 onwards; a figure which rose to one million tons a year once the haulage plant was renovated in 1986. Haulage of the “Last carriage” marked the end of mining at the Arno Lippmann Shaft on 28 March 1991, after which the mine was preserved. To enable future use, the building fabric was repaired and preserved as a monument between 1996 and 1999. The shaft building is today part of the “Europark Altenberg” industrial estate.

The grand main building of the Arno Lippmann Shaft was designed in three parts. It is split into the landing area with shaft tower, the staff facilities with locker rooms, canteens, offices and medical supplies, and the crushing area. The building’s base and the southern side are clad in rubble stone, and the approximately 35-m-high shaft tower rises up above the section of the landing. The roof ridge of the crushing area features a striking turret, which houses the former shift bell of the Römerschacht.

Interactive Map