Between 1529 and 1533, shortly after the founding of Jáchymov, three new important mining towns appeared almost simultaneously in the upper reaches of the Erzgebirge: Abertamy (Abertham), Boží Dar (Gottesgab) and Horní Blatná (Bergstadt Platten). The reason behind this was the rich discoveries of silver, tin and iron ores in the near vicinity. Abertamy with its neighbouring mining settlement Hřebečná (Hengstererben) was built on Bohemian territory. Horní Blatná and Boží Dar, on the other hand, were founded by the Saxon Elector John Frederick on previously undeveloped land and only incorporated into the Kingdom of Bohemia in 1546.

Horní Blatná is one the most striking examples of Renaissance-style planned mining towns in the Erzgebirge. Similar to Marienberg, its distinctive features are a large, central, almost square marketplace, dominated by the Church of St. Lawrence, and a system of roads running perpendicular to each other.

The ore districts Horní Blatná, Hřebečná and Bludná (Irrgang) bear witness to 400 years of tin ore mining. Overground, a series of notable objects are preserved, including Vlčí Jámy sinkhole and Ledová Jáma sinkhole on the summit of Blatenský vrch (Plattenberg), the sinkhole of Susanna mine in Bludná, and the Schneppova sinkhole in Hřebečná. Worthy of special mention is the sinkhole of the Red Mine in Hřebečná, which measures over 230 m and is one of the largest of its kind internationally. From the perspective of mining history, the underground section of the Mauritius mine in Hřebečná is of great value. There, authentic evidence for a wide variety of tin ore mining processes from the 16th to the 19th century is preserved. In the skarn district Zlatý Kopec (Goldenhöhe), where tin, iron, copper and zinc ores were mined, clear evidence of underground ore extraction is preserved. A unique element of the local mining landscape are the heaps near Boží Dar, which bear witness to the enormous scale of cassiterite mining by placer work in the highest reaches of the Erzgebirge. The man-made ditch Blatenský příkop, still fully functional today, can be considered one the most significant mining water supply systems in the Czech part of the Erzgebirge.

  • Main Elements
  • Interactive Map
  • Tin placer deposits at Boží Dar

    Hundreds of tiny, well-preserved hills (known as heaps) can be found to the west of Boží Dar. They are evidence of the importance of panning for tin in the highest parts of the Erzgebirge. Placer mining for cassiterite was carried out here from at least the 16th century and continued until the start of the 19th century. The total area of the placer deposit landscape adds up to over 250,000 square metres, making it one of the largest tin placer deposit areas in central Europe. Most of the heaps are between 5 and 10 metres in length. However, some are over 20 metres long and a number are over 2 metres high. Many placers are found downstream of the Černá brook near Myslivny and Ryžovna. The placers represent a unique element of the local mining landscape. The landscape is also notable for its characteristic vegetation, which differs from that of the surrounding area.

  • Zlatý Kopec mining landscape

    In the Kaff ore field in Zlatý Kopec or Goldenhöhe (Golden Hill) near Boží Dar, tin, iron, and to a lesser extent copper ore were mined as early as the first half of the 16th century. The mines were in operation up until the 1860s. Over an area of approximately 1,500 x 400 metres, there are countless authentic elements both above and below the surface which bear witness to past mining activity, including hundreds of sink-holes as well as crumbling mines and adits. The entire area of mountainous and forested terrain was untouched by later changes in the landscape, and has retained its original character as a mining landscape.

  • Hřebečná mining landscape

    This ore field is one of the most important historical tin deposit sites in the Czech Republic. For over 400 years starting in the 16th century, tin was extracted here in the form of cassiterite. The well-preserved mining landscape features a large number of artefacts of past mining activity both above and below ground which are important beyond the regional level. The most important of these are the Rote Grube (Red Mine) surface mines, the Schnepp Pinge sink-hole, and above all the Mauritius mine, the largest and deepest tin mine in the Czech Erzgebirge, which was designated as a national monument in 2014.

  • Horní Blatná mining landscape

    At the beginning of the 1530s, rich tin deposits were discovered in the region surrounding the current mining town of Horní Blatná, which were the reason for the town’s founding in 1532. The largest mines were built on the Plattenberg mountain (Blatenský vrch) to mine the Wolfgang and Georg seams. These seams, known as greisen veins, were several metres in width. They were developed both above and below ground from the 16th century until the second half of the 18th century. Among the features that have survived are the Wolfspinge (Vlčí jáma, “Wolf’s Pit”) and Eispinge (Ledová jáma “Ice Pit”) sinkholes.

  • Horní Blatná Historic Old Town

    The mining town of Horní Blatná is one of the most picturesque examples of the mining towns planned and constructed in the Renaissance style on greenfield in the Erzgebirge. In contrast to many mining towns, which were built following the discovery of significant silver ore deposits, Horní Blatná is the only example of a planned town connected to the discovery of tin deposits. It was founded in 1532 by Johann Friedrich, the elector of Saxony at the time. Like Marienberg in Saxony, the town has a central, almost-square market place and a system of perpendicular streets. Furthermore, there are a number of valuable historical buildings of Gothic or Renaissance architecture, as well as a series of more recent half-timbered buildings in the vernacular style of the 18th century. In 1992, the historic centre of Horní Blatná was declared a protected urban area.

  • Platten manmade ditch

    The Platten manmade ditch is an outstanding example of the technical capabilities of the water engineers of the 16th century. It is the longest water supply course for mining in the Czech part of the Erzgebirge and is still functional today. Built between 1540 and 1544 and with a length of 13 kilometres, the ditch provided motive water for dozens of mines and ore dressing works from Boží Dar to Horní Blatná right into the 19th century. The ditch is up to two metres wide and up to one metre deep. The bed of the ditch was reinforced using wooden planking. Following maintenance carried out between 1995 and 2001, the ditch features (among other things) ten relief overflows, 25 jetties and culverts, and 39 sand and gravel traps.