60 metres to the north-east of the Siebenschlehen stamp mill in Schneeberg, Neustädtel, is the electoral smeltery (St. Georgenhütte or St. Georg smeltery) founded in 1665. The name refers to the older smelting site of the historically important St. Georg mine in Schneeberg. The two-storey building, which previously featured several extensions, was used for the processing of silver ore containing bismuth, cobalt, and nickel. The St. Georg smeltery is the only smelting hut in the western Erzgebirge that has been largely preserved in its original architectural form. Ore was processed using a metallurgical method described by Georgius Agricola (1494–1555) and Lazarus Ercker (1528–1595). 

Impressions