There is evidence of mining occurring in the area around the Sauschwart mine since the end of the 15th century. However, from the middle of the 18th century, the mine became one of the most important sites in the mining district. Bismuth ore was quarried from the shaft of the Sauschwart mine until 1929. Above the shaft is a coe with an extension used to house a converted hoisting machine from 1949. Among the other buildings nearby are the administration and assembly building, built in 1835, and the foreman’s house (1837). The mouth of the main adit, construction of which started in 1487, has also survived. The shaft coe is open to tourists.

Impressions