With the extraction of cobalt ores, the production of blue dyes in the Erzgebirge developed as a manufacturing sector of European importance. The most recent of the blue dye factories, which once numbered five, was founded in 1650 by Erasmus Schindler near Zschorlau. The preserved stock of monuments shows that the mining settlement was founded as an independent community with production, administration and residential buildings. The manor and storehouse represent two of the most characteristic and oldest buildings for blue dye production in Saxony.

  • Main Elements
  • Interactive Map