Mining in the Schneeberg Mining Landscape dates back to as early as the 15th century. Lines of heaps that follow underground ore lodes bear witness to this today. Many of the 18th- and 19th-century dressing works, surface installations and smelteries have been preserved. They convey an impression of silver and cobalt ore mining. Filzteich, the oldest man-made pond in the region, was created in order to operate the many water-driven machines in the mines.

  • Main Elements
  • Interactive Map
  • Historic Centre of Schneeberg

    The discovery of significant silver ore deposits towards the end of the fifteenth century led to the unplanned and rapid development of the mining town of Schneeberg. A large number of mines surrounded the town. Many substantial buildings, both secular and religious, were built during the mining boom in the sixteenth century. The St. Wolfgangskirche (St. Wolfgang’s Church) is just one example of these. A great fire in 1719 had a lasting effect on the townscape. New buildings were erected in the Baroque style and have defined the character of the town ever since. The church survived the flames in 1719, but was completely destroyed during the Second World War. It was reconstructed and now endures as a symbol of the mining town. The church contains a historic, culturally important altar from the workshop of Lucas Cranach the Elder. Other important buildings in Schneeberg include the St. Trinitatis Church, the town hall with its distinctive tower, the Baroque Fürstenhaus (Royal Residence), and the Baroque townhouses of the wealthy Tröger, Schmeil, and Börthenreuther families.

    • Rathaus – Town Hall

      The Schneeberg town hall is a large, classical building with a striking tower, which dominates the market square. Directly above the rounded-arch entrance is a large sandstone frieze dating from 1911/12 which tells the tale of the first discovery of ore in Schneeberg. Above the frieze is a large, colourful cast-iron relief showing the town’s coat of arms. The town hall is a detached building with four wings and a rectangular inner courtyard. Its front facade is decorated with pilaster strips. Attached to the gable end is the town hall’s tower, with a rectangular lower portion, octagonal upper portion, and a flat roof. Easily visible on the tower above the town’s coat of arms is a set of carillon bells made of Meißner porcelain. These were donated by the Schnorr family. Leaded windows painted with images of Schneeberg and representations of the various crafts can be enjoyed from inside the Town Hall, which was fundamentally redesigned in 1911/12. The names of donors are painted on the windows. There is also a painted coffered ceiling by Prof. Josef Goller. The ceiling of the central entrance hall is stuccoed. In the council hall is a large painting showing the Neustädtel mining landscape surrounding Schneeberg. It is by Carl Lange and was painted in the Domestic Revival style in 1937. 

    • Fürstenhaus – Royal Residence

      The building known as the Fürstenhaus is a stunning two-storey Baroque construction which was erected after the previous building on the site was destroyed in the fire of 1721. It is attributed to Johann Christian Naumann. The facade, which was destroyed in 1945 during the Second World War, was reconstructed between 1955 and 1957.

    • Trinitatis Church

      The Trinitatis Church is located at the north-western end of the Fürstenplatz. It is also known as the Hospital Church, referring to the hospital built around 1500 which used to stand beside it. The St. Trinitatis cemetery belongs to the church and now covers around three hectares. It is the central burial ground for the town of Schneeberg. It originally bordered on the hospital and was expanded in 1701, having been in use since 1529. Among the notable features of the graveyard are the epitaph of the metalwork magnate Paul Lobwasser († 1606) and the crypt belonging to the Schnorr von Carolsfeld family, constructed around 1800. The Trinitatis Church is a single-nave church. It was partly destroyed in the fire of 1719, but was rebuilt by 1739. Built of quarry stone, the church features a three-sided enclosed choir and a facade with two towers. The towers were built in 1846 in the historicist style and feature sharply pointed roofs. They were donated by the merchant Carl Hänel. The church is marked by the regular arched windows arranged between the buttresses. The nave features a wooden vaulted ceiling and single-storey galleries on three sides. The original furnishings of the church have not survived.

    • The Schmeilhaus

      The two names of the Trögersche- or Schmeilhaus refer to its past owners—the first to a family of apothecaries in the 17th/18th century, one member of which was also a member of the city council, and the second to the publisher Karl Schmeil, who took over the Goedsche press in 1891. The two-story corner house at Fürstenplatz 1, a stone’s throw from the town hall, surrounds an irregular courtyard with round arches. Both outward-facing facades are extensively decorated with stucco (including flowers, leaves, scrollwork, cartouches, drapery, busts, lions and more). The stuccoed ceilings on the ground floor of the building have survived and been restored. The staircase ceiling features a groined vault. A slate mansard roof caps the building above the corner facades. After going through the main door on the Fürstenplatz, visitors arrive in a central entry hall typical of the Baroque style after 1720. The pale pink paint on the house complements the white stucco decoration.

    • St. Wolfgangskirche (St. Wolfgang’s Church)

      The late-Gothic St. Wolfgang’s Church was commissioned by the elector Frederick the Wise and built between 1516 and 1540. It has shaped the town’s image ever since. A smaller, existing church structure, dating from sometime after 1470, was incorporated into the building. It had been founded alongside Schneeberg mining town in response to the discovery of large ore deposits. The construction of the church was funded by a mining tax levied on the mineworkers and pit owners. In the 17th/18th century, the church was renovated in the Baroque style. It was heavily damaged during the fire that ravaged the town of Schneeberg in 1719, but was subsequently reconstructed. The church was almost completely destroyed again during an air raid in April 1945. Only the outer walls remained standing. Starting in 1952, both the interior and exterior of the church were partially reconstructed using the historic building materials. By 1996, the artistically, culturally, and historically important altar had been restored and could be rededicated.

  • Weißer Hirsch Fundgrube (mine)

    Silver ore and later bismuth, cobalt and nickel ores were extracted in the Weißer Hirsch mine, first mentioned in the 17th century. It took on a central role in 1880 when several mines were united to form the Schneeberg cobalt field in order to extract ores for blue pigment production. The mine became world-famous when a large number of uranium minerals were discovered here for the first time. After the Second World War, it was the starting point for uranium ore mining in this region under the name Shaft 3.

  • Sauschwart Mine

    There is evidence of mining occurring in the area around the Sauschwart mine since the end of the 15th century. However, from the middle of the 18th century, the mine became one of the most important sites in the mining district. Bismuth ore was quarried from the shaft of the Sauschwart mine until 1929. Above the shaft is a coe with an extension used to house a converted hoisting machine from 1949. Among the other buildings nearby are the administration and assembly building, built in 1835, and the foreman’s house (1837). The mouth of the main adit, construction of which started in 1487, has also survived. The shaft coe is open to tourists.

  • Daniel Mine

    The Daniel mine is first mentioned in records dating to around 1500. In the middle of the 17th century, remarkable cobalt deposits were found, making the mine one of the most important in the Schneeberg ore field. It supplied more than a third of the locally mined cobalt ore. Of the mine’s surface buildings, only the administration and assembly building (built in 1730) and the mine forge (dating from 1839/40) are still standing. The administration and assembly building now houses the headquarters of the Schneeberg/Erzgebirge e.V. mining association.

  • Gesellschaft Mine

    The Gesellschaft Mine was one of the largest and most important mine complexes in the Neustädtel mining area. The surviving surface buildings comprise the administration and assembly building (1830), the mine forge (1839), the carpenter’s house, the well house and the powder house (1844). The wooden coe over the turbine shaft was built in 1984 to protect the shaft. The motive-water leat is open to visitors as far as the turbine shaft.

    • Administration and Assembly Building

      The administration and assembly building of the Gesellschaft mine, built in 1830, is the largest and most distinctive building of its kind in the Schneeberg mining district. The two-storey house is completely built in a half-timbered style. It features a large hipped and gabled roof with two levels, as well as two rows of regular dormer windows. The west gable end is completely boarded over. The windows have been completely renovated and the casements have been given a protective coat of green paint. The wooden shutters that once hung on the ground-floor windows have not survived. Since 1947, rooms in the house have been used as working and business rooms. The house has also been used for residential purposes. After 1995, the surviving structural elements were incorporated in the exemplary renovation, which was carried out in compliance with monument protection.

    • Mine Forge

      The mine forge was built as a long, low, and sturdy single-storey building with two hearths in 1839. From 1947, it was converted for use as a residential home. The construction year is marked above the entrance. Both the roof and gable ends are clad with shingles. The original windows of the 16-bay mine forge, including the removable double windows used for insulation in winter, have survived to the present day.

    • Well House

      The Gesellschaft mine well house, a cistern, was probably installed in the retaining walls of the waste heap during the 19th century. From the outside, the octagonal building with unplastered walls and a slate roof looks similar to a powder house.

  • Filzteich Pond

    The Filzteich pond was created between 1483 and 1485 on the tin-placer grounds to provide the Schneeberg mining industry with driving water. Following a dam breach at the pond in 1783, the pond was rebuilt as the largest reservoir in the Schneeberg mining area. In the Hartmannsdorfer Forst west of the Filzteich pond, there are extensive supply and water exploration trenches. The Filzteich pond has been used as a natural lido since 1933.

  • Wolfgang Maßen Mine

    The most southernly large mine in the Schneeberg ore field and one of the most important cobalt mines in the Saxon ore mining region in the 19th century was the Wolfgang Maßen mine. The stamp mill constructed between 1816 and 1818 with subsurface stamp wheelhouse, the half-timbered Huthaus (administration and assembly building), the pit foreman’s house and the mine forge from the mid-19th century have been preserved from the mining complex. In addition to the table heap of the main shaft, there are also several smaller heaps that can be dated back to the 16th century.

    • Administration and Assembly Building

      The mine’s administration and assembly building is a single-story house which was originally built entirely in a half-timbered style. It has a tall slate mansard roof with two levels, and there is a slight angle at the centre of the construction. On the side of the building facing away from the shaft, only the back of the house retains remnants of the half-timbering. The gable and left side of the front section have been completely rebuilt in solid masonry. The half-timbering can still be seen on the shaft-facing front section of the building. There are mansard dormer windows on the front and back sides of both levels of the hipped mansard roof. The north-east half is roofed with slate and the south-west side with asphalt roofing-board shingles. The house gables are covered with planks. There are six modern-style tilt-and-turn windows, as well as a new front door. The windowsills are no longer extant.

    • Stamp Mill

      The stamp mill with underground stamp wheelhouse is a two-storey half-timbered structure built between 1816 and 1818. The two-level gabled roof features two rows of dormer windows on each side. On the side of the stamp mill not facing the shaft there is a small bell tower with a surviving clock mechanism. The stamp mill itself was supplied with energy from the underground stamp wheel by means of two hading shafts, via the shaft paths that end inside the mill. The division of the interior spaces is fundamentally unchanged.

  • Siebenschlehen Stamp Mill

    Between the 16th and 19th centuries, the Schneeberg ore fields were the largest and most important location for cobalt ore mining in the world. Of the many dressing plants, the Siebenschlehen stamp mill has been preserved. It belonged to the Siebenschlehen mine, first mentioned at the end of the 15th century. The plant was constructed between 1752 and 1753, and retains its original appearance. Today the stamp mill is used as a museum.

  • St. Georg Smeltery

    60 metres to the north-east of the Siebenschlehen stamp mill in Schneeberg, Neustädtel, is the electoral smeltery (St. Georgenhütte or St. Georg smeltery) founded in 1665. The name refers to the older smelting site of the historically important St. Georg mine in Schneeberg. The two-storey building, which previously featured several extensions, was used for the processing of silver ore containing bismuth, cobalt, and nickel. The St. Georg smeltery is the only smelting hut in the western Erzgebirge that has been largely preserved in its original architectural form. Ore was processed using a metallurgical method described by Georgius Agricola (1494–1555) and Lazarus Ercker (1528–1595). 

  • Knappschaftsteich (Miners’ Association Pond)

    The Knappschaftsteich (Miners’ Association Pond) was created in 1684 and directly borders the Siebenschlehen stamp mill. This pond supplied the water to power another stamp mill situated below the Siebenschlehen stamp mill. The pond includes a loam-sealed earth dam, a terrace wall, a control hut for sluicing water, and a spillway. Its construction is similar to the Lindenau stamp mill pond, which also belonged to the Siebenschlehen stamp mill. The mine obtained the process water for the stamp mill and the washing works from the 600-metre ditch leading from the Lindenau pond to the stamp mill.

  • St. Anna Mine near Freudenstein next to the Trost Adit

    The first documentary evidence of mining activities at the site of the current visitors’ mine St. Anna at Freudenstein near Zschorlau dates back to 1492. It was a relatively small mining area that was particularly influenced by silver ore mining in the 16th century. The northern area of the mining landscape is home to the accessible Trost surface adit.