In order to supply the Schneeberg and Schlema smelteries with urgently needed timber, a timber transport ditch measuring approximately 15 kilometres was constructed between 1556 and 1559. It begins at the Rechenhaus (rake house) in Albernau, where it is fed water from the river Zwickauer Mulde. The narrow ditch runs across a plain formed by deposits along the slope of the Zwickauer Mulde past various mining installations. Its historic mouth is located in Zechenplatz in Oberschlema.

  • Interactive Map