The Schneeberg mining region borders the Annaberg district in the east and the Schwarzenberg district in the south. Among other resources, silver, copper, bismuth, cobalt, and nickel ores were mined here. Founded at the end of the 15th century, the mining town of Schneeberg was the first important new mining town to be established in the western Erzgebirge and forms part of the World Heritage nomination. Also nominated are the nearby Schneeberg-Neustadtel and Hoher Forst mining landscapes, which bore witness to the mining history of the surrounding area. The blue colour works known as “Schindlers Werk” (Schindler’s Factory) joins the nomination as a monument to the blue pigment production industry in the Erzgebirge. The Schneeberg timber ditch and a number of relics of the mining history of Aue – including the Auerhammer manor house and the St. Andreas mine/Weiße Erde pit – act as associated objects that further illustrate the rich mining history of the region.
Mining in the Schneeberg Mining Landscape dates back to as early as the 15th century. Lines of heaps that follow underground ore lodes bear witness to this today. Many of the 18th- and 19th-century dressing works, surface installations and smelteries have been preserved. They convey an impression of silver and cobalt ore mining. Filzteich, the oldest man-made pond in the region, was created in order to operate the many water-driven machines in the mines.
With the extraction of cobalt ores, the production of blue dyes in the Erzgebirge developed as a manufacturing sector of European importance. The most recent of the blue dye factories, which once numbered five, was founded in 1650 by Erasmus Schindler near Zschorlau. The preserved stock of monuments shows that the mining settlement was founded as an independent community with production, administration and residential buildings. The manor and storehouse represent two of the most characteristic and oldest buildings for blue dye production in Saxony.