A characteristic feature of the Lauta mining landscape is the intersecting lines of heaps belonging to the two major silver ore veins known as the “Bauer Morgengang” and the “Elisabeth Flachen”. Most of the heaps date back to the mining period of the 16th century. In the 18th century, the so-called water hole shaft – renamed the Rudolph Shaft in 1839 – became the most important main shaft in the area. Silver mining at the Rudolph Shaft, and consequently in the Marienberg mining district, ceased in 1899. From 1947 to 1954, the Rudolph Shaft was used to prospect for, and extract, uranium ore. Until 1962, it was also used to obtain fluorite. Today, there is a reconstructed horse whim at the shaft, modelled after historical designs, which is used as a demonstration tool.

Impressions