The mining town of Marienberg was built in 1521 following the designs of Ulrich Rülein von Calw, with a grid layout and an unusually large, square marketplace. The Rathaus (town hall) erected on the square was constructed in the Renaissance style between 1537 and 1539. Despite several large fires in the town, the splendid portal dating back to 1538 has survived. The town houses encircling the square feature many of these decorative Renaissance portals. The parish church of St. Mary (Stadtkirche St. Marien) was built between 1558 and 1564 and modelled after the parish churches in Annaberg and Pirna, as the last great late-Gothic hall church in Upper Saxony. Following a fire, it was rebuilt in the contemporary early Baroque style. Of the five gates that once formed part of the town walls, only the Zschopau Gate, built in 1545, survives. The Lindenhäuschen (Linden Cottage) is a real rarity – a typical miner’s house, still largely unchanged, and credited as one of the oldest houses in Marienberg.