The works, founded in 1537 by mining officer Hans Leonhardt, takes its name from liquation, a process for extracting silver from silver-bearing copper ore. Grünthal Liquation Hut Complex was an independent community with its own jurisdiction. With its almost completely preserved production and administrative buildings, residential and utility buildings, the Liquation Hut is a testimony without parallel in Europe to the preindustrial smelting and processing of silver-bearing copper ores.