The mining area of Gersdorf originally belonged to the Cistercian monastery Altzella. The many artefacts indicate the presence of intensive silver ore mining here from the 12th century onwards. The lines of heaps and sinkholes still visible in the area date predominantly back to the Middle Ages. In total, there were over 200 shafts in this area. From the 17th century, the Segen Gottes main adit mine grew to become the most important of these, but was closed in 1885. Significant relics of mining activity still preserved today include the stone mine rescue constructed at the end of the 18th century, an ore canal, the upper and lower manmade ditches and the mouths of various motive-water leats. Two water-column engines remain intact in the machine room of the Adam-Stolln adit. The 18th century hoisting house, which was later converted to the mine’s administration and assembly building, has also survived.

Impressions