The mining town of Krupka was founded before 1330. It is closely connected to the mining of tin ore in the area. The medieval plan of the town accommodates the topographical characteristics of the site and has been completely retained to this day. Krupka Castle towers over the town. The castle dates back to the early 14th century and was originally a defensive feudal fortification, later serving as the mining authority for the Graupen mining district. They heyday of Krupka was in the second half of the 15th century, when tin ore mining flourished in the region. A large number of Gothic buildings in the town date back to this period, such as the Heiliggeistkirche, or Church of the Holy Spirit (1454) and the Minorite monastery (1474). Most notably, however, the renovation of the older Maria Himmelfahrt (Assumption of Mary) Church (1479–1488), with its unmistakable late-Gothic bell tower, took place during this period.

Impressions