The Svornost or Einigkeit (Unity) mine is the oldest uranium mine in the world. It was first opened in 1518 to extract large silver deposits, at which point it was known as the Konstantin Mine. It was renamed in 1530 to commemorate the resolution of an argument between local mine owners. Up until the 19th century, it was one of the main centres of silver and cobalt extraction in Jáchymov. From the mid-19th century, it became one of the most important sites in the area for the mining of uranium, which was used initially to make pigments and later to make radium. The mine was closed in 1901, but was reopened under state control in 1924 to resume production. At that time, a new shaft building with sanitary fittings, a machine room with an electricity-powered hoisting machine, mechanical workshops, and a building with living quarters for the mine employees were also constructed. On the 12th. level, a radioactive water source – which had first appeared in 1864 at a depth of 532 metres – was tapped and channelled into the Jáchymov health spa. It was named the Curie Spring. In 1946, the Einigkeit mine became part of the newly-created Czech state mining company Jáchymovské doly. The communist regime set up a forced labour camp for political prisoners not far from here in 1949. After uranium mining ceased, the Einigkeit mine was given to the Jáchymov health spa in 1964, to secure it as a source of radioactive water for the spa. The mine, which was comprehensively modernised between 1992 and 1996, still serves this purpose today. The Einigkeit mine is also known for the discovery of a series of uranium-containing minerals which were first described at this location (as of March 2018 there are 15 such minerals).

Impressions