Annaberg’s town church is one of the most important late-Gothic buildings in Saxony. In St. Anne’s Church, new shapes and a lighter type of vaulting replaced the soaring vaults characteristic of Gothic architecture. Elements of Renaissance style can be seen in a number of architectural features, as well as in the altars. From the beginning, the town plan included an open space intended for the future church. Foundations for the stone church were laid in 1499. The church features a number of noteworthy construction elements. It was built as a three-aisled church, and its pillars are not load-bearing. The structure of the roof distributes its weight perpendicularly onto the outer walls of the church. The outstanding entrance to the Old Sacristy, finished in 1518, is one of the oldest Renaissance portals in Saxony. The altars were erected in the 1620s. Building work on St. Anne’s Church was completed in 1525. A number of changes were made to the structure over the following centuries. Following extensive renovation, St. Anne’s Church has once more been restored to its original 16th-century condition. The church also houses numerous epitaphs, including some dedicated to famous mining figures. 

Interactive Map