The Frohnauer Hammer consists of the iron forge and flood ditch, a small workshop building, and the manor house. The hammer mill was previously a grain mill, with origins most likely dating back to the earliest history of Frohnau village. The mill fell into disrepair at the end of the 16th century. Following a complete conversion in 1621, it became a hammer mill where various metals were forged – first silver, then copper, and finally iron. In 1692, the hammer mill burned down and was rebuilt shortly afterwards. The hammer mill went out of operation in 1904. The hammer mill association established in 1907 acquired the plant one year later, and it was operated as a museum from as early as 1909. The water-powered hammer mill is a quarry-stone building with shingle-covered hipped roof and an L-shaped floor plan. It is powered by water from the Sehma river, directed into a separate watercourse by a weir approximately 300 metres upriver from the forge.

Interactive Map