The mining town of Marienberg was founded in 1521 after rich deposits of silver were found in the region and built as a planned town. The layout of the town follows the principles of the ideal Renaissance town, which were applied for the first time north of the Alps. Its most important objects include the Renaissance town hall, the Hall Church of St. Mary, the town walls and the mining storehouse. Marienberg was the final important mining town to be founded in the second silver mining period in the Erzgebirge.

Welterbe Montanregion Erzgebirge e.V.

Adam-Ries-Straße 16
09456 Annaberg-Buchholz

tel: (+49) 3733/145 350
fax: (+49) 3733/145 360

e-mail: kontakt@montanregion-erzgebirge.de