Founded as St. Katharinenberg im Buchholz in 1495, Buchholz grew into a small mining settlement due to its mineral resources. The Hall Church in Buchholz, with its Wolfgang altarpiece of importance for cultural history, bears witness to the silver mining period of the early 16th century. The former execution place dates from the same period. Marked by two slabs of rock, it stands in the middle of the mining district. In the last phase of mining, uranium ore extraction produced terraconic heaps that are only preserved here in the Erzgebirge.