Mining in the Schneeberg Mining Landscape dates back to as early as the 15th century. Lines of heaps that follow underground ore lodes bear witness to this today. Many of the 18th- and 19th-century dressing works, surface installations and smelteries have been preserved. They convey an impression of silver and cobalt ore mining. Filzteich, the oldest man-made pond in the region, was created in order to operate the many water-driven machines in the mines.

Important Locations and Sites

top

Wolfgang Maßen Mine

The most southernly large mine in the Schneeberg ore field and one of the most important cobalt mines in the Saxon ore mining region in the 19th century was the Wolfgang Maßen mine. The stamp mill constructed between 1816 and 1818 with subsurface stamp wheelhouse, the half-timbered Huthaus (administration and assembly building), the pit foreman’s house and the mine forge from the mid-19th century have been preserved from the mining complex. In addition to the table heap of the main shaft, there are also several smaller heaps that can be dated back to the 16th century.

St. Anna Mine near Freudenstein next to the Trost Adit

The first documentary evidence of mining activities at the site of the current visitors’ mine St. Anna at Freudenstein near Zschorlau dates back to 1492. It was a relatively small mining area that was particularly influenced by silver ore mining in the 16th century. The northern area of the mining landscape is home to the accessible Trost surface adit.

Filzteich Pond

The Filzteich pond was created between 1483 and 1485 on the tin-placer grounds to provide the Schneeberg mining industry with driving water. Following a dam breach at the pond in 1783, the pond was rebuilt as the largest reservoir in the Schneeberg mining area. In the large woodland area to the west of the Filzteich pond, there are extensive supply and water exploration trenches. The Filzteich pond has been used as a natural lido since 1933.

Siebenschlehen Stamp Mill

Between the 16th and 19th centuries, the Schneeberg ore fields were the largest and most important location for cobalt ore mining in the world. Of the many dressing plants, the Siebenschlehen stamp mill has been preserved. It belonged to the Siebenschlehen mine, first mentioned at the end of the 15th century. The plant was constructed between 1752 and 1753, and retains its original appearance. Today the stamp mill is used as a museum.

Interactive Map

top

Information and Addresses

top

Stadtverwaltung Schneeberg

Markt 1
08289 Schneeberg

Phone: +49 (0) 3772/356-215
Email:

www.schneeberg.de

Öffnungszeiten

Montag09:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00 Uhr
Dienstag09:00-12:00, 13:00-18:00 Uhr
Mittwoch09:00-12:00, 13:00-15:00 Uhr
Donnerstag09:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00 Uhr
Freitag09:00-13:00 Uhr
Sonnabend09:30-11:30 Uhr
1. Samstag im Monat

Tourist-Information Bergstadt Schneeberg

Markt 1
08289 Schneeberg

Phone: +49 (0) 3772/20314
Email:

www.schneeberg.de

Öffnungszeiten

Montag09:00-12:15, 12:45-16:00 Uhr
Dienstag09:00-12:15, 12:45-18:00 Uhr
Mittwoch09:00-12:15, 12:45-16:00 Uhr
Donnerstag09:00-12:15, 12:45-18:00 Uhr
Freitag09:00-12:15, 12:45-16:00 Uhr
Sonnabend10:00-14:00 Uhr
Sonntag11:00-14:00 Uhr
Feiertags10:00-14:00 Uhr

Gemeindeverwaltung Zschorlau

August-Bebel-Straße 78
08321 Zschorlau

Phone: +49 (0) 3771/4104-0
Email:

www.zschorlau.de

Öffnungszeiten

Montag09:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00 Uhr
Dienstag09:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00 Uhr
Mittwochgeschlossen
Donnerstag09:00-12:00, 13:00-18:00 Uhr
Freitag09:00-12:00 Uhr