The mining town of Marienberg was founded in 1531 after rich deposits of silver were found in the region and built as a planned town. The layout of the town follows the principles of the ideal Renaissance town, which were applied for the first time north of the Alps. Its most important objects include the Renaissance town hall, the Hall Church of St. Mary, the town walls and the mining storehouse. Marienberg was the final important mining town to be founded in the second silver mining period in the Erzgebirge.
Important Locations and Sites
Mining storehouses were a special feature in many towns. They mostly provided miners and their families with food. The Marienberg mining storehouse was built between 1806 and 1809, and is a solid, four-storey, quarry-stone construction with a slate-covered, half-hipped roof. Later the building was used as a military storehouse as well as for commercial purposes. Between 2002 and 2006 the historic storehouse was developed as a protected building and now houses the German-Czech Culture Centre. The Marienberg storehouse is the only storehouse in the Erzgebirge to be largely preserved in its original condition.
Information and Addresses
Markt 1 09496 Marienberg
Phone: +49 (0) 3735/602 - 270 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Montag||09:30-12:30, 13:00-16:30 Uhr|
|Dienstag||09:30-12:30, 13:00-16:30 Uhr|
|Donnerstag||09:30-12:30, 13:00-16:30 Uhr|
|Freitag||09:30-12:30, 13:00-16:30 Uhr|