The Red Tower of Death is a national cultural monument in the Czech Republic that recalls the period of extensive uranium mining in the vicinity of Jáchymov after the Second World War. A seven-storey, red-brick building dominates the site. From 1951 to 1956, it served as the central dressing and sorting plant for uranium ore extracted in Jáchymov and in other uranium districts in the former Czechoslovakia and supplied to the Soviet Union. It is one of the last remaining monuments from the uranium ore dressing industry in the Erzgebirge. At the same time, the Red Tower of Death symbolises the suffering of political prisoners who were held in inhuman conditions in the Jáchymov forced-labour camps in the 1950s.