The Zug Mining Landscape connects the Freiberg and Brand-Erbisdorf mining areas. From the 16th century, silver, copper and lead ores were extracted here, as is evidenced by the many preserved buildings and lines of heaps. The Constantin/Drei-Brüder-Schacht underground power plant, built in 1913, demonstrates the subsequent use of mining installations, both above and below ground, to generate electricity at a time when overland supply was not yet widespread.
Important Locations and Sites
Drei Brüder Shaft Surface Installations
After the closure of the pits, the Drei Brüder shaft and the Constantin shaft were converted to underground water power stations (1913/1914 and 1922 respectively) that were in operation until 1969/1972. The power station located in the Drei Brüder shaft is one of the oldest underground electricity power stations in Europe and is operated as a visitors’ centre.