The region surrounding Ehrenfriedersdorf is one of the oldest medieval tin ore mining areas in Germany. Tin ore was mined here from the beginning of the 13th century. With the development of new water pumping technology, the Ehrenfriedersdorfer Kunstgezeug, mining restarted in the 16th century after a temporary halt. The patented process was subsequently applied in the entire mining industry. Numerous surface installations from this second flourishing of mining are preserved.
Important Locations and Sites
Ehrenfriedersdorf Mining Landscape (surface installations and Sauberg heap main and vertical shaft)
Around 1230 a mining settlement sprang up with the start of tin-placer mining in Ehrenfriedersdorf near Sauberg. From then on, tin mining flourished during several phases, one of which was due to the expansion of the Tiefen Sauberg adit from 1536, another in the first half of the 18th century, then in the mid-19th century – when a new vertical shaft was sunk in Sauberg – as well as from 1948 until its final closure in 1990. The Sauberg main and vertical shaft can be experienced as a museum in the Ehrenfriedersdorf visitors’ mine.
The pipe trench, which provided water to stamp mills, washing works and tin smelteries in Ehrenfriedersdorf, was constructed in the second half of the 14th century. This makes it one of the oldest man-made ditches in the Erzgebirge mining region. In the 19th century, the man-made ditch provided water for the local textile industry. The pipe trench provided water for tin processing until the cessation of mining in Ehrenfriedersdorf in 1990, making it one of Germany’s oldest man-made ditches still in operation. The pipe trench was repaired between 1999 and 2002.
Information and Addresses
Fremdenverkehrsverein “Greifensteine” e.V
Max-Wenzel-Str. 1 09427 Ehrenfriedersdorf
Phone: +49 (0) 37341/3060 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org